With seemingly endless oils to choose from all claiming to be perfect for massage, it can be somewhat of a challenge to find a massage oil that’s fit for the purpose. Part of the challenges lays in the fact that some oils are best for certain purposes. In our latest article, the Mobilise Remedial Massage team share their picks for choosing some of the best massage oils, and which oils are suitable for which purposes
Why use massage oil anyway?
For some massages using oils, especially relaxation massages is a massage must. Why?
• Oils help to lubricate the skin and help the hands to glide over the body more freely.
• Oils also absorb into the body making the skin more supple and any discomfort associated with the movement of the skin or muscle
• Massage oils are usually scented with aromatherapy infused essential oils which assists in creating a relaxing mood and adds an extra dimension to the massage.
• Heavier Oils work best for low friction massages and relaxation massages.
• Lighter oils will work better for heavier massage such as sports and deep tissue.
• Always have a shower after using heavier oils
• If you have skin allergies make sure your choose oils labelled hypoallergenic
Sweet Almond Oil – sweet almond oil is probably the most popular massage oil used. This is for many reasons including the fact that it’s light, not overly greasy and can be easily absorbed into the skin and its pH neutral which means that it can be used by all skin types.
Grapeseed Oils – Rich in vitamin E, proteins and minerals, grapeseed oils are also light and non greasy and is rich in linoleic acid which has regenerative effects on the skin.
Apricot Oils – Useful for dehydrated skin apricot oil has moisturizing properties
Jojoba Oils – Works well for more oily and sensitive skin types
Avocado Oils – Great for use on dry, scaly skin especially useful for treating eczema.
Hazelnut Oils – Useful for oily skin.
Apart from choosing an oil to match the type of massage you are looking to receive and one that matches your skin type, choosing the ‘best’ massage oil is really a matter of personal preference.
If you have any more questions about the types of oils we choose to work with here at Mobilise Remedial Massage, simply get in contact with our friendly team of fully accredited massage therapists today, by calling 0473 090 442, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org