Sports massage plays an important role in the life of sportsmen or women whether they are injured or not. Massage provides people with various physical, psychological and physiological benefits.
Sports massage generally prevents injuries and helps the body to be in good condition. It helps an athlete to be more mobile with a boost and increase in performance and helps you extend your sporting career.
Physiological benefits of Sports Massage
- Sports massage helps in reducing pain in the body. When you receive a sports massage, the body releases endorphins which serve as a natural pain reliever for the body. It reduces pain caused by tension in the body and makes you feel good and improves your state of mind and well-being.
- It helps the cardiovascular system by dilating the blood vessels which promote circulation. This makes them work effectively and efficiently. By massaging your body, you allow venous blood flow back to the heart and this improves blood flow and allows fresh oxygen and nutrients to be passed into the tissues and assists in the removal of toxins and waste products.
- It helps you to relax. Muscles relax due to stretching and heat generated. Another benefit derived from this is that with the way you are relaxed during and after a massage, your heart rate lowers.
- Helps you manage stress better, reduces tension and helps you to relax by stimulating your nervous system. This means your serotonin and dopamine levels are increased while your cortisol levels which are linked to stress are reduced.
Physical benefits of Sports Massage
- The stroking movements that occur during a massage allow fluid to move through your lymph vessels and blood vessels. This is very essential when it comes to dealing with damaged or tight muscle tissues that squeeze a lot of blood out and will not allow the tissue have the important nutrients and energy needed for repairs.
- Sports massage helps in stretching muscles that could not be stretched in the typical way. When massaging, many muscles are stretched upwards and downwards as well as sideways. Massage also helps in stretching the fascia that surrounds the muscles and helps to release any pressure or tension that has built up.
- Having a deep massage allows the pores in tissue membranes to open, making it possible for nutrients and fluids to pass through. This helps in removing waste products from the body and helps the muscles take in oxygen and nutrients that helps them to recover quickly.
- When you train hard you tend to make your tissues hard and inelastic. This is why some people believe that training hard does not necessarily mean you will achieve good results. Sports massage takes care of this issue by stretching the tissues.
Psychological benefits of Sports Massage
- Sports massage helps to keep you relaxed and your body in good condition. With this achieved, you are able to feel more comfortable and your anxiety level is reduced.
- If a massage is properly done especially before an occasion it leaves you invigorated and ready to go.